Once you have decided to sell your investment property, it is essential that you really do your homework thoroughly before you decide who to appoint as your agent.
Don’t choose an agent on the promise of a high price. And never tell them what figure you have in mind – many will respond by just agreeing with you or suggest an unrealistic sum, in the hope of attracting your business.
Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions, the best agents will give you a detailed response.
Questions to ask when selling an investment property
- How much experience do you have as an estate agent?
- How well do you know my local area?
- How successful have you been selling properties nearby?
- Can I see a list of your sales and the prices realised?
- Would you recommend an auction or not? Ask them to explain why.
- What commission do you charge?
- How much do you think my property is worth and is this a realistic figure?
- What marketing services do you recommend?
- How much will the marketing cost?
- Do you have a list of potential buyers?
Do your research, find out which agents have a good understanding and experience in selling investment property, also they must know the local area. Then, draw up a shortlist of at least three agents and arrange to meet them. Make sure you choose someone who you like and can communicate well with, and who you feel will genuinely work in your best interests.